Saturday, June 20, 2009

Chapters

Back in the day when I worked at Knott’s, there was a guest speaker who came out to talk to all the members of management. I honestly can’t remember exactly what his topic was, but he posed a question that has stuck in my mind ever since. He asked, “If you had to choose 5 moments in your life that define who you are, what would they be?”. The 5 moments have changed for me so many times as I come across new experiences, but that is expected as we continue to live our lives.

I look back now, and it is impossible for me to only choose 5 moments, especially when I think about the moments in my life that have formed me spiritually. There is so much that has happened that has led me to where I am today and towards the future endeavors I am moving towards. Baptism, First Communion, Confirmation, my emotional downfall, my conversion, youth group, NCP, NET Interview, and meeting people who have changed my life without even knowing it are just a few of the countless moments that I can mention.

Here’s the problem that I have realized though with the earlier moments. I’ve realized that I didn’t recognize the importance of the moments and that makes me feel like I didn’t truly live in those moments. I realize that there are times when we may not understand the impact an event has on our lives until it has passed, but that just motivates me to LIVE IN EVERY MOMENT.

When I read a book, I really try to live in the eyes of the characters in that book. Our lives though are a story as well. We are living in the book that is being written as we live. Every person that we meet is a character to add to our story. Everywhere we go is a new setting. All the happiness and sadness helps keep our story interesting. Every moment and event that we go through is a chapter that we can add to the story of who we are.

If we look back at the Gospels, we are graced with the opportunity to know who Jesus was. We know where He went, who He was hanging out with, and what He did. It is because of that that I can truly walk with Him in my life. I can live with Him in my life. I can model my life off of what He did.

What will the book of your life look like? What stories will it tell? What message will it get across? Those are just a few questions that we can look back on as we near the end of our story, but there is a question that will have more meaning to us. Did I live in those moments?

Don’t just let life pass you by. Don’t let your life just be moments that you will reflect back on. Make those moments ones that you have lived through.







At the moments, I am sitting here restless. I am trying to find my focus through the distraction that makes my heart skip a beat. I am also figuring out how I am going to live out these next 53 days that I am here in the comfort of the place and people that I know.

No comments: